CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, October 1, 2009

September

I feel incredibly behind on my blog world. Even though it has only been a month since I’ve posted it seems like an eternity. This is likely because of the drastic change in schedule in the Willson household over the past month. Not only did daddy return to his grad classes but the kids both started “schools” of their own.

The week after Labor Day, BOTH kids started Mother’s Day Out on Mondays.
Here they are on the first day of "school"


When I walked into her classroom, Lydia promptly dropped her bookbag and ran to the toys (not even a hug or a “c-ya mom”). I then forced her to give me a proper goodbye. Needless to say, she has a BLAST. This month they have been learning about manners and she tells me who shares and who doesn’t. She’s also thrilled about the opportunity to be “line leader.” Unfortunately, Tobias is having a ROUGH time. We have known that he would have issues since his separation from me causes tears 100% of the time (unless he’s with family). And yes, these tears go on and on and on… He cries most of the morning then (refusing to eat) naps and is typically “ok” when he wakes up. Thankfully there is one-on-one with his teacher and sweet Ms. Amy is caring for our sad boy with a patient, loving heart. Of course, this is tough on mommy, but I know it’s the best for both of us. I have been working on my “day out” which keeps my mind distracted from my distressed little boy.

Lydia also started preschool this month two mornings a week. Her first day of preschool. That smile says it all.


Reading a note her daddy wrote to her wishing her well on her 1st day.

She adores the “Apple Place.” Her favorite part is playing outside on the playset but she also can tell she is picking up their “lessons”. Although prior to preschool, she knew her shapes, now she’ll point them out in the world. She has yet to name a “friend” at preschool, she consistently tells me a certain little boy “does not share” or “the big kids take stuff out of my hands”. This will be a good experience for her to get a taste of her own medicine (her “sharing” with her little brother is not-so-hot).

The big news in Toby’s world is that he is now officially a walker. Once he “got it”, he became proficient quite quickly. He loves picking up balls, overhead throwing them with both hands, and chasing them. I think his favorite activity is playing on the sofa or bed, throwing his body into the cushions, flopping down, rolling around.

Along the lines of enjoying dangerous activities, Toby loves to climb. His favorite spots are inside the train table,

on the fireplace, or standing on the table or chair in Lydia’s room. He not only loves climbing up, but climbing in.

At the playground he loves climbing UP slides. UGH! Keeping mama on her toes!

This kid really still needs a morning nap but with the running around 3 days a week just doesn’t get one. Therefore we’ve had quite a few times where he’s conked out in the car (which he used to NEVER do!) In fact, when he fell asleep at strollercise today his Aunt Leslie mentioned, I have NEVER seen him or known him to sleep anywhere but his crib! He’s not quite as good of napper as Lydia is/was but he is consistently sleeping through the night and no longer is up at 5:55am – HORRAY (more like any time between 6:30-7 – I love it!)



Tobes loves to talk, probably stemming from his love of making noise – lots of noise. He learned the words “duck” and “shoe” this past weekend. Some of his favorites: get down, up, dog, juice. He loves doing “Where’s your head?” (with food all over his hands makes it extremely thrilling!) and his cousin Ally taught him how to do “Where’s your ear?” He is starting to get into books, listening, turning pages, pointing, and giggling at the silly parts.

Tobias has also become particular (go figure!) about the manner by which he eats his food. He strongly prefers to feed himself. With a utensil. He finally will let us put the food onto the fork or spoon but snatches it out of our hands if we attempt to put it in his mouth. We’ve finally conceded to simply handing him the utensil. Now, this creates quite a mess if the consistency isn’t “just right” but it’s certainly cute to watch.

Toby and Lydia are quite a pair.

Mimi & Gpa have been taking them to music class on Wednesday evenings. On the way home we’re told they get into giggling matches. He really feeds off of her attempting to match the pitch and sound she utters. He’ll also mimic the rhythmic parts of the music CD from their class (repetitive “bah, buh bah buh bah”). I’m sure she’s heard this from me, but sometimes Lydie states, “Tobias is a loud child.” True, true. Another cute Toby story: Due to his extreme seperation anxiety, I decided not to burden our sweet Bible Study caregiver with Toby’s screaming, so I take him to Bible Study with me. This week he was happily playing on my lap. All of a sudden he said, “Di-dee-ahh” [Lydia], squirmed off my lap, and speed-crawled toward the open door. He was trying to find her! So sweet.



Although at heart he is a momma's boy, Tobias ADORES his daddy.

No question where he gets his gorgeous green eyes.



GREAT-MA...

(at Toby's 1st Birthday party: see the joy radiating from her!)
This month we also are mourning the passing of Lydie and Tobias’ dear Great-ma, my precious grandmother, Babe. . I had the blessing of having a very special relationship with my grandma. We grew up with her living in the same town, vacationing together, and she has been at every monumental event in our lives as well as sharing the day-to-day ups and downs. When I was away at college she would consistently write me letters, notes, and cards sharing the happenings of her life in Cburg and providing words of encouragement and love. Lydia had the sweetest relationship with her and Toby would even try to hand her things while she sat in her chair.
One of the last times the kids and I visited Great-ma, September 4


Her decline was relatively rapid – essentially her heart just gave out. 91 years of pumping and it was simply worn out. Rest assured her heart is still living with us as her legacy runs deep in our souls. Mark said, “your grandmother was one of the most beautiful people I’ve ever met.” And a sweet woman at the funeral noted, “God doesn’t make people like that every day. Your grandmother was truly a special woman.” That she certainly was. Even when she was struggling, she never uttered a complaint. In fact, the last day I spent time with her I took the kids into the nursing home. We read her Bible verses and prayed with her. She asked me to repeat “I will never leave you or forsake you.” (Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Deuteronomy 31:6 ) Surely that is why she retained her joy until her last days. The joy of the LORD was her strength (Nehemiah 8:10). Even though she was hardly able to speak due to labored breathing and extreme weakness, she sang, “Jesus loves me” and “Jesus love the little Children” with us. And my mother shares, as she was in the face of death, she cried out to the Lord for mercy, to save her soul and to take her home… I am confident He has answered her prayers. I miss her terribly. Yet I also rejoice with her as she is singing with the angels with our God. She has restored sight, renewed mind, and a heart that is strong and will never fail. I know dear Babe loves to hear us sing this truth.

“Jesus loves me, this I know.
For the Bible tells me so.
Little ones to Him belong.
They are weak, but He is STRONG.
Yes, Jesus loves me.
The Bible tells me so.”

Her beautiful life is truly an inspiration. If we all lived as such a “good and faithful servent” what an amazing place this world would be!

More on our September vacation to come...

1 comments:

Annisa said...

Beautiful post, Liz! Those photos and stories of your grandmother are amazing treasures.